Sunday, April 19, 2015

Viral Links Assignment

Video: 



How many of us grew up watching television? I assume most of us did. We would know which show would be on at what time, and we would all follow a specific television show. According to Dimitri Christakis, a pediatrician and a researcher on how television affects children, we are all digital natives and have grown up in this so called "digital" era with technology. Therefore I made a video about how children today watch television and how they have evolved with this technology. At the end of the video I provide a link for parents to find tips on limiting the amount of screen time that their children are allowed to watch everyday.

For the overall message of this video to be heard we were required to use certain social media sites to effectively distribute and get people to be aware of our videos and messages. Here are a few examples of how I used these mediums:

Twitter



This was one of the memes that I decided to post on twitter. I did not write much while posting the tweet and only used hashtags because I wanted the meme to speak for itself. Although everything that I had posted was presented in a serious light, this was intended to pose a kind of humor to lure audiences to look more into the subject at hand. This was intended to attract younger audiences who are more aware of the uses of memes and their humor. One of the hashtags that I used for this tweet was a trending hashtag, and my intention in doing that was to get the attention of a wide range of people. This tactic however was not very effective.
I tweeted my video to get the circulation going and for people to watch my video. I utilized hashtags in order to gain the attention of people who were dealing with my subject. Since my topic was such a broad topic I could not really find specific hashtags to utilize. 

This was another meme that I utilized for my cause. I thought the humor could add  more followers and also stand out amongst a number of tweets. I tagged the university where I had gathered the statistic from, in hopes of getting more followers or favorites that way, that also was not really helpful or the time I posted it might have been the cause because it was on a weekend. From this post however I got one follower: @ TV_Agant.

Although I posted many tweets, this one got more attention because of the hashtag technology. I also tagged Chritakis Dimitri in this twitter post but I realized that his last tweet was made in 2013, so he was unfortunately not an active twitter user. Technology news and technology stories, twitter websites were interested in this tweet. Such cases such as people favoriting my tweets and then undoing their favorites the next day, happened and I do not know the reason why. I had two followers one day and the next day the same people who had followed me unfollowed. Later I thought this could be because I did not follow them back.



I thought a visual representation of children watching TV could also be a good way for people to be interested in this topic. This tweet included me asking questions to engage the audience and also putting hashtags about the issue. Since I did not have the freedom of writing a long post like you would in twitter this was the most condensed version of this tweet. I wanted to attract the attention of mothers that were on twitter looking at tweets, therefore I directed the tweet to a specific audience. The use of exclamation marks and question marks added to the engaging tone. I had one favorite for this tweet that that was from C&MDomesticAppliances.



Facebook:


Facebook was a medium in which I really did not know how to utilize. I had deactivated my Facebook in 2010 and had not used it since then, so I opened a new Facebook account with only a few Facebook friends. With this in mind I wanted to first share my video to really show what my message was about. From the people I added I knew there were new mom's amongst them and so some of my Facebook posts were concentrated on parenting tips and questions to engage them. 

This was my first infographic that I had posted on Facebook, I posted two on there. The first infographic was about the effects TV had on children that was the condensed version of some of the statistics that I had placed in my video. After I had posted that I put this infographic on Facebook. That is the reason why I wrote "If you were really blown away from the statistics... earlier" because I wanted them to visit my Facebook page in order to see that infographic also. This infographic was a condensed version of the link I shared at the bottom of my video on youtube of providing tips for parents. This post got attention from parents.

This was my third meme that I decided to post on Facebook instead of twitter, the reason for that was because I also wanted to add more humor to my Facebook posts. Also the group of friends that I have added on Facebook are a group of parents that can sympathize with this notion of not watching too much TV and playing outside more. Therefore I though the message could more strongly be circulated in this medium, and I had posted two memes on twitter already and I thought it would be too many memes back to back as tweets, and it would thus decrease the seriousness of my message.


















Vine: 



I made three vines from a character I created named Jo. I thought that this could be humorous and that Jo could represent the average kid addicted to watching television. His videos consist of me asking him questions and he is answering to each of them with something related to watching TV. I thought that once my audience gets used to watching videos about Jo they might want to follow to see more videos about him. I also used the technique of stop motion to shoot this vines.

This was a vine about the dilemma we have of either going outside to socialize or to stay inside and watch a movie. I shared this vine to relate to a lot of people who experience this mind boggling question. This vine includes a shot of the mac/TV and a window which sticky notes that are supposed to symbolize my thought process. 

This video includes portions of my video. The reason I wanted to add portions of my video was to in a way promote my video and it's cause. Also I added the portion of looney tunes so more people and a broader audience could reach out and watch my vine, because of the hashtags that I utilized. This surprisingly got a like because of that hashtag. 



No comments:

Post a Comment